Thursday, May 5, 2016

I'm a college student... WHAT?!

About a month ago I started the process of going back to school!

I had to decide on what I wanted to major in... Since most of the positions that I have held in the past now require some college or course work I thought to myself long and hard if those were the courses I wanted to take. And I decided - No, they were not what I wanted to take! If I was going to go back to school; I wanted to go in something more meaningful and that would give me more opportunities and have extra areas of study within the programs.

Then I had to apply and get accepted. Which was rather easy except that when I first moved here I had apparently sent in my information to see about courses and so they had all my information in there prior to my marriage to Maverick. That was a small little hurdle but they seem to have finally got all the key components updated.

Now the fun really starts!! I needed to take an entrance exam, apply for student aid, talk to a counselor and get my summer schedule, obtain my immunization records and get my student ID. Surprisingly enough I did very well on the exam and my lowest scores were math; but we knew that was gonna happen. When I took my scores in to the counselor and I told her I wanted to get my Associates of Science in Nursing (R.N.) she asked me if I would consider becoming a teacher. While that does sound awesome and I have thought about it, I really want to be an RN. This past week has been spent finishing up little details like the immunization records and my student ID which we obtained yesterday.

Classes start in less than two weeks. I need to set myself up with the online course portal and get my books. Then I'll be all set. I'm going to need to work my butt off and get the best grades possible so that in the spring when the next clinicals are filled for the Nursing Courses that I get picked for my RN courses immediately and not have to wait or fall back on doing LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) until next go -which I have nothing against; it's just longer time in school and I already have a path that's going to take quite some time. What is that path? Well, after I get my Associates I want to get my Bachelors and from there I want to get my Masters. That opens the door to becoming a Nurse Practitioner and/or Nurse Midwife. So yea, I have pretty big goals and if I need to start at the LPN stage then it's gonna take a year longer. The LPN program is 1 year and the RN is 2 years. Bachelors is 4 years. I may end up stopping at my Bachelors but we'll see what's going on at the time. No need to get caught up in the future just concentrate on what's going on right now.

Meanwhile during the whole crash course in becoming a college student; I spent much of my time looking for jobs and was hired yesterday! No longer will I be working nightshifts -well, maybe not nightshift as a paper carrier! My schedule is open all night and during the evenings and I requested as many hours as possible so we'll see what happens. I'll start as a cashier for a major retail company tomorrow working mostly the evening shifts since I have school starting at 9am.

My husband is really proud of me for going back to school. If I had known it was this easy I would have done it a long time ago!!

I will finish up the Jester & Maverick blog challenge as soon as we are able to get our 5th wedding anniversary gifts. I want to make one post all at once.


No comments:

Post a Comment