Wednesday, April 6, 2016

I wish I was a Food Network Star...

I gotta crazy life... Photographer, Wife, Mom to 4 Furry Babies, APA League Operator & Newspaper Delivery. That means I don't have a lot of time to cook every day so I like to make large batches of food and have left overs -- ALL THE TIME. Thankfully Maverick loves everything I make so it's a Win/Win situation! One of his favorite things I make is Chicken Salad & Tuna Salad. So much so I use to make large batches for him to take to work; now I make large batches for us to eat for Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner for the week. It's fast, cheap, more healthy than eating out every day and delicious.

Today I was at it again with the "quick, no fuss, too hot to cook already, too busy to cook everyday ready made meal...." Tuna Salad & Chicken Salad sandwiches! Both my chicken & tuna are prepped the same except I like less mayo and more boiled eggs in my chicken salad than I do my tuna salad. 



Here's what I do:
I take 4 small cans of tuna & 1 large can of chicken, Drain (give liquid to furry babies lol), and put into large bowls that have lids.
Add relish, mustard, minced garlic, minced onion. Stir it all about... If it looks like it needs more add a bit more. 
Season with salt, pepper, garlic salt, onion powder, Italian seasoning, garlic powder to taste
Add in a scoop of mayo at a time until you get the consistency you desire. 
Chop up a dozen or so hard boiled eggs and divide as desired among the chicken and tuna mixtures. 
Easy peasy!!

Wanna get the perfect boil on your eggs which equates to a perfect peeled egg every time?




Take a large pot of cool water & put on high heat. Add in your desired amount of eggs immediately. Bring to a boil and after about 20 minutes start checking your eggs by pulling up random eggs in a slotted spoon. Count to 5. When the surface of the egg is dry when you get to 5 then remove from the heat and let rest in the water. I usually boil the eggs before I start my prep on the actual salad mixture. When you're ready place your pot in the sink and run cool water into your pot - do not dump your hot water. Crack the egg and peel under the cool running water. I don't know why it works but they come out perfect every time!! Which is great for when you're making deviled eggs. I place my eggs in a bowl or on a plate with a paper towel underneath to absorb all the excess water. I then place the eggs in a medium sized bowl and take 2 knives and cut them like you would the old fashioned way of cutting butter into flour to make dough. Just keep doing random slicing motions until you've got the size of egg that you desire.

What's your fave way to eat chicken/tuna salad?
I love a good ole sandwhich with toasted bread but when I really wanna jazz it up I make a garden salad and top with my tuna or chicken salad mixture, sprinkle on some cheese and some ranch dressing or cottage cheese and you've got a meal that even a low-carb dieter could enjoy!
Which do you prefer... Chicken Salad, Tuna Salad or just good ole Egg Salad?
I love all 3 equally so when I can I will have half a sandwich of each Tuna & Chicken and a side salad with Egg Salad on top with some cottage cheese on the side.
Tuna Salad

Chicken Salad

No comments:

Post a Comment