Saturday, April 23, 2016

He said "Will You Marry Me?" and She said "YES!"

Today we're going to rewind a few years back before we were married until a few months before the official proposal...

Gaia's college graduation was a big deal in our family especially for my Daddy. He didn't go to college and very few of his brothers & sisters did either. 100% blue collar working class got our hands dirty hard working family. I know he was disappointed in me because I had the opportunity to go to college and blew it. Up until this time I had not flown since I was a little kid when we use to fly to Detroit to visit with Gwen's family up there. I have always been afraid to fly and it was expensive so I always drove. Due to the short turn around I had to fly to make it to her graduation and back because of work.

Maverick had been hinting about my engagement ring since we came back from our Florida vacation. Almost immediately he started taking me around to jewelry stores to try on rings and show him my favorite ones.

So we're getting ready for the graduation and my phone rings... I had went out early that morning and bought presents and a card for Gaia... It's my bank. They're concerned because there was charges in Arkansas AND charges in Illinois - a very hefty charge in IL - well I was concerned - who wouldn't be? And asked them where it was from... oooooooooooooooooh boy. He did it. He bought my ring while I was out of town... SMART MAN! I told the bank "It's fine; my boyfriend just bought my engagement ring!!" she laughed said she was sorry for spoiling the surprise and said congratulations.

It was a beautiful day!! I got to see Gwen, Momma, Pebbles, Gaia, Aeon... EVERYONE. I didn't tell anyone but Momma what happened and she was so excited. We both agreed that he was going to be standing at the gate waiting for me in O'Hare airport and propose right there and then...

That was in mid May.

June rolls around and Maverick is asking questions about my birthday... What did I want to do? Well, I love hiking, I love the movies... a lot of weekends we'd wake up and say "what are we doing today?" and some times we'd flip a coin: north or south? east or west? and just drive. Friday night he asked me if we should go hiking? There is a place in southern Illinois called Starved Rock he's heard about and it would a great place for pictures and hiking. We decided that we would get up early and go for a nice little mini road trip and go hiking.

The day was absolutely beautiful!! Even though my back was giving me a hard time and we had to take it super slow; I was having a great day... and it was only going to get better!

Towards the end of the day we came upon this cliff overlooking the lake. It was AWESOME. I'm standing there looking out and taking pictures when I hear "Honey, come here". I turn around and there he is on one knee. I blurt out "Oh my god you're doing that today?" and without even skipping a beat "Will you Marry Me?" and I said "YES". There was people there and those who noticed applauded and said congratulations. There was an older couple who approached us and said they were married in that spot 50 years prior.

It was beautiful, it was perfect, it was simple and sweet. Just like us.

To celebrate we went to Texas de Brazil and watched movies at home after calling everyone and giving them the awesome news!!











If you've made it this far... I have one more piece of information to share with you before I go... Remember how I said Daddy was disappointed because I blew my change to go to college straight out of High School? I'm in the process of enrolling to get my Associates in Nursing. I'm going to be (pending all the prerequisites and if I even qualify) an RN.

 ~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~
This post is the 7th in a series of posts that will chronicle milestones and anniversaries. We're coming up on our 5th year Wedding Anniversary & this summer marks 10 years of our relationship officially beginning... I hope you enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment